Thematic Points of Action identified for the population: People with disabilities.
Next, we present the Thematic Points of Action agreed upon and prioritized by a group of representatives of civil society organizations of and for persons with disabilities. The representatives in the dialogue spaces claimed that these priorities reflect the needs of this population in all its diversity. In particular, the need to have a legal framework that adheres to the principles of current international legal frameworks on disability is one of the main challenges posed by the leaders participating in this process. Legal framework that, when it comes into effect and is implemented, would help reduce the gaps and barriers that stop people with disabilities from the fulfillment of their rights. There is an emphasis on having information and academic studies to show the broad need for assistance in this group, as well as the need to work for the consolidation of all the civil society efforts that already exist to claim the rights of this population group.
LAWS AND POLICIES
- Promote the approval and implementation of the Inclusion Law for People with Disabilities.
- Design a proposal for the harmonization of relevant secondary legislation, so that it is in harmony with the Human Rights international standards related with PwD.
- Promote the creation of procedures for the implementation and monitoring of accessibility technical standards with a human rights approach.
- Promote a process of reforms to the Constitution regarding the legal capacity and legal representation of persons with disabilities.
ACCESS TO JUSTICE
- Continue and deepen awareness processes with police (and military), regarding human rights within their treatment respect PwD.
- Promote accessibility for people with disabilities to institutions and processes within the justice sector.
- Review and modify training programs content of the justice sector institutions, incorporating disability with a social rights approach.
- Promote and implement awareness-raising processes for judges and other justice operators regarding human rights in the attention of PwD.
- Review, adapt, disseminate and implement the existing primary care protocols for the safety and justice sector.
- Develop training processes to raise awareness and empower persons with disabilities in their rights.
- Demand compliance of the Ministry of Education (MINED its acronym in Spanish) Inclusive Education Policy at all levels.
- Articulate joint efforts between civil society organizations and Ministry of Education, to raise awareness among teachers and family members of PwD.
- Strengthen and promote awareness campaigns and training within public service institutions.
- Promote awareness campaigns regarding the rights of persons with disabilities aimed at civil society in general.
- Promote gender-focused research on disability caused by different diseases and other causes.
- Promote gender-focused research on the condition of disability caused by the situation of violence and insecurity.
- Promote research on best practices to improve the employment situation of PwD.
- Promote research about deported immigrants with disabilities.
- Promote research on the identification of barriers that exclude persons with disabilities (recognized in current national and international legislation).
- Create an observatory for monitoring the National Comprehensive Care Policy for Persons with Disabilities and the Inclusion Law for Persons with Disabilities; as well as other international legal frameworks.
ADVOCACY AND PARTICIPATION
- Develop specialized training in political advocacy tools aimed at leaders of organizations of PwD.
- Promote and strengthen coordination actions among organizations of persons with disabilities around an advocacy and action common agenda.
- Promote advocacy actions to include equal shares of political participation of men and women with disabilities.
- Support monitoring of alternative reports for international human rights mechanisms.
- Form a team of local trainers to guarantee the replication of knowledge on the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Develop advocacy actions to promote a census of the population with disabilities.
- Promote advocacy actions to strengthen the performance of CONAIPD (acronym in Spanish of Consejo Nacional de Atención Integral a la Persona con Discapacidad, in English. National Council for Comprehensive Care for Persons with Disabilities)
STRENGTHENING OF CIVIL SOCIETY
- Design a comprehensive strengthening strategy for organizations of people with disabilities.